JEWELRY LIST 2004:
Part A: A-C
Part B | Part C | Part D | Part E
- ADOR (Associazione Designers Orafi), Milan. Design Orafo/Design in Gold. Milan, Edizioni Gold, (1991). 306 pages, profusely illustrated with over 1,000 reproductions in color of contemporary designs in jewelry, watches, desk sets and tableware (the majority jewelry); the book is "divided according to different product categories... within each... the various types of products have been analysed and presented through the works of different designers." Large 4to, wrappers, fine. $95.00
- ADOR (Associazione Designers Orafi), Milan. Design Orafo 2/Design in Gold 2. Milan, Edizioni Gold, (1994). 348 pages, profusely illustrated with over 1,200 reproductions in color of contemporary designs in jewelry, watches, desk sets and tableware (the majority jewelry); the book is "divided according to different product categories... within each... the various types of products have been analysed and presented through the works of different designers." Large 4to, wrappers, fine. $95.00
- ADOR (Associazione Designers Orafi), Milan. Design Orafo 3/Design in Gold 3. Milan, Edizioni Gold, (1996). 335 pages, profusely illustrated with over 1,100 reproductions in color of contemporary designs in jewelry, watches, desk sets and tableware (the majority jewelry); the book is "divided according to different product categories... within each... the various types of products have been analysed and presented through the works of different designers." Large 4to, wrappers, fine. $95.00
- Aldred, Cyril. Jewels of the Pharaohs. Egyptian Jewelry of the Dynastic Period. New York, (1971). Hardbound. $85.00
- Aloi, Roberto. Esempi di Decorazione Moderna di Tutto il Mondo: Gioielli, Sbalzi, Argenti. Milan, 1954. lxxix pages of text with 75 illustrations plus 147 pages of photographic plates. Illustration listings in four languages, including English. Paperbound. $185.00
Modern jewelry and silver, with examples by Templier, Russel Wright, Puiforcat, Jensen and others.
- Anderson, Basil & James Payne. The Spectroscope and Gemmology. Woodstock, 1998. $60.00
The first book devoted exclusively to the spectroscope and its use in gemstone identification.
- Anderson, Patricia. Contemporary Jewellery in Australia and New Zealand. Sydney, (1998). 168 pages, glossary, timeline, bibliography; profusely illustrated in color. Boards, dust jacket. $125.00
Each artist is represented by a two-page biography and discussion of the work and several color illustrations of examples of his or her jewelry.
- Andrews, Carol. Amulets of Ancient Egypt. Austin, 1994. Paperbound. $17.95
- Andrews, Carol. Ancient Egyptian Jewelry. New York, Abrams, (1991). Hardbound. Dust jacket. $49.50
- Andronikos, M[anolis]. The Royal Graves at Vergina. Offprint from "Athens Annals of Archaeology," Volume X (1977). Translated into English by J. Binder. Athens, Archaeological Receipts Fund, 1980. 53 pages, 31 illustrations (mostly halftones, some drawings). 8vo, wrappers, very good. $25.00
A study of the objects found at the excavation site at Vergina, including an unusual diadem.
- Armstrong, Nancy. Jewellery: An Historical Survey of British Styles and Jewels. Guildford & London, (1973). Illustrated with 10 pages in full color and 42 pages of black and white halftone plates; appendices. Clothbound, dust jacket. $125.00
The history of the jeweller's craft, as it developed in Britain, beginning with a background of ancient civilization through the "present day."
- Art Nouveau: Finch College Museum of Art, New York. Art Nouveau. Exhibition catalogue: April 30 June 15, 1969. Curated by Paul Magriel. Introduction by Alden Murray. (32) pages, black and white illustrations. Catalogue lists 355 objects: jewelry, silver, ceramics, furniture, graphics, glass and sculpture. 4to, illustrated wrappers, very good. $50.00
- Arwas, Victor. Art Deco. New York, Abrams, (1980). First edition. 316 pages, 416 illustrations, including 200 plates in full color; biographies of more than 120 artists, bibliography, index. Large 4to, cloth, fine in dust jacket. $125.00
Discusses the Art Deco 1925 Exposition, furniture, metal, silver, jewelry, posters, glass and more.
- Ashbee: Ashbee, C.R. Modern English Silverwork. London, 1974. Reprint of the original 1904 edition. Limited to 1000 copies. $200.00
- Baerwald, Marcus & Tom Mahoney. Gems and Jewelry Today. An Account of the Romance and Values of Gems, Jewelry, Watches and Silverware. New York, (1949). First edition. With extensive bibliography and appendices. Chipped dust jacket. $75.00
The original edition of The Story of Jewelry.
- Baker, Lillian. Art Nouveau & Art Deco Jewelry: An Identification & Value Guide. Paducah, (1997). With updated values. Paperbound. $9.95
- Balfour, Ian. Famous Diamonds. Christie's, 2000. Fourth edition. $125.00
- Ball, Joanne Dubbs. Jewelry of the Stars. Schiffer,1991. With value guide.
The jewelry creations of Joseff of Hollywood.
- Ball, Joanne Dubbs & Dorothy Hehl Torem. Masterpieces of Costume Jewelry. Schiffer, 1996. With price guide. Hardbound. $49.95
- Barros, Anne. Ornament and Object: Canadian Jewellery and Metal Art, 1946-1996. Toronto, (1997). Illustrated. Hardbound. $55.00
- Bassermann-Jordan, Ernst. Der Schmuck. Leipzig, 1909. 134 pages, 136 illustrations and color frontispiece. $125.00
In German, on ornaments worn by Germanic peoples during ancient, medieval, gothic and renaissance times. Sinkankas 436.
- Bassmann, Theda & Michael. Zuni Jewelry. Schiffer, 1992. Paperbound.
- Bates, Kenneth F. Enameling: Principles and Practice. Cleveland, (1951).
- Batterberry, Michael & Ariane. Mirror, Mirror: A Social History of Fashion. New York, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, (1977). First edition. 400 pages with 700 illustrations, including 120 in color. Large 4to, cloth, stain on front cover, front inner hinge weak, still very good in dust jacket. $125.00
- Batterberry, Michael & Ariane. Fashion: The Mirror of History. New York, Greenwich House, (1982). Second edition. 400 pages, over 700 illustrations, including 120 in color. 4to, boards, very good in dust jacket. $125.00
Reprint of the original 1977 edition entitled "Mirror, Mirror".
- Battle, Dee & Alayne Lesser. The Best of Bakelite and other plastic jewelry. Schiffer, 1996. With value guide. $39.95
New Work on Southwest Silver Jewelry
- Baxter, Paula A. Southwest Silver Jewelry. Schiffer, (2001). 208 pages, profusely illustrated in color; bibliography, index and values reference guide. Boards, dust jacket. $49.95
From the 1860s through the 1960s; with list of makers.
- Bayard, Emile. L'Art de Reconnaitre les Bijoux Anciens: Pierres Precieuses, Metal Precieux. Paris, Ernest Grund, 1924. First edition. 313 pages, contents leaf; includes terminology and plate descriptions; 78 numbered black and white plates plus text illustrations. Small 8vo, original blue and white wrappers. Wrappers chipped at spine and one edges; internally fine; largely uncut and unopened. Series: Guides Pratiques de l'Amateur et du Collectionneur d'Art. $185.00
Antique jewelry with examples from the collection of Georges Chapsal. One of the scarcest works in this series.
- Becker: Becker, Friedrich. Friedrich Becker: Jewellery, Kinetics, Objects. Edited by Hildegard Becker. Stuttgart, (1997). Text in German and English.
Study of this world renown goldsmith and jewelry designer (1922-1997) who was the creator of kinetic jewelry.
- Becker, Vivienne. Antique and Twentieth Century Jewellery. A Guide for Collectors. Colchester, (1987). Second edition. $69.50
Revised and enlarged edition of this important and impressive work, a must-have for any jewelry library.
- Becker, Vivienne. Art Nouveau Jewelry. New York, 1985. First edition. 240 pages, 456 illustrations, 156 in color; with 214 makers' marks, biographies of jewelers. Large 4to, cloth, fine in dust jacket. $150.00
The original hardbound edition.
- Becker, Vivienne. Art Nouveau Jewelry. The paperback edition, 1998. Exactly the same as the original hardbound edition which is now out of print. $29.95
- Becker, Vivienne. Fabulous Costume Jewelry: History of Fantasy and Fashion in Jewels. Schiffer publishers. With price guide. $39.95
The American reprint of Becker's popular Fabulous Fakes (now out of print); a comprehensive retrospective of commercial costume jewelry from 18th century Georgian through the present.
- Bell, C. Jeanenne. Answers to Questions About Old Jewelry, 1840-1950. Fifth edition, 1999. Paperbound. $24.95
- Bell, C. Jeanenne. Collector's Encyclopedia of Hairwork Jewelry: Identification & Values. Paducah, (1998). Hardbound. $24.95
A wonderful, informative and well illustrated work with 853 illustrations, mostly in color, and reproductions of pages from nineteenth century catalogues of hairwork jewelry in black and white.
- Bell, C. Jeanenne. How to Be a Jewelry Detective. Shawnee, (2002). 166 pages, color an black and white illustrations. Paperbound. $18.95
"Elementary" clues to solving the mysteries of jewelry: Clues, marks, metals, stones, fittings and findings, testing materials.
- Bell, C. Jeanenne. Warman's Antique Jewelry Field Guide. Iola, Krause, (2003). 509 pages, profusely illustrated in black and white. 4 1/4 x 5 1/4 inches, paperbound. $12.95
A handy values and identification guide, with circa dating clues, information on metals and marks, and examples of fine, costume and estate jewelry and their current prices.
- Belle Epoque of French Jewellery 1850-1910: Jewellery Making in Paris... London, 1991. Clothbound, dust jacket. $125.00
- Benda, Klement. Ornament & Jewellery. Archaeological Finds from Eastern Europe. Prague, 1967. Clothbound. $75.00
- Benjamin, John. Starting to Collect Antique Jewellery. Woodbridge, (2003). 191 pages with select biographies, compendium and index; profusely illustrated in color. Boards, dust jacket. $25.00
An excellent overview with chapters on paste, mourning and sentimental jewelry, mosaics, cameos, jewelry in Scotland, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau, Art Deco, and so much more; written by the former International Director of Jewellery at Phillips.
- Bennett, David & Daniela Mascetti. Understanding Jewelry. Woodbridge, 2000. Second edition, revised and fully updated. $89.50
This second edition contains a chapter on sixties jewelry at the end.
- Bennett, Edna Mae. Turquoise and the Indian. Chicago, Sage Books/The Swallow Press, (1970). Revised edition, second printing. 152 pages, extensive bibliography, index; illustrated with line drawings, maps, black and white photographs and several plates illustrated with color. Small 8vo, cloth, very good in dust jacket. $20.00
- Berry Collection: Indiana University, Bloomington. Ancient Jewelry from The Collection of Burton Y. Berry. 1973. Paperbound. $40.00
- Berry Collection: Wolf, Rudolph. A Golden Legacy: Ancient Jewelry From the Burton Y. Berry Collection. Indiana University Art Museum, 1995. Paperbound. $39.95
- Bhushan, Jamila Brij. Indian Jewellery, Ornaments and Decorative Designs. Bombay, no date (ca. 1955). First edition. $185.00
- Biro, Olga Zobel & Christianne Weber. Plastic Jewellery Art. Stuttgart, 2002. 208 pages, 200 color illustrations. Hardbound. $75.00
The development of jewelry made from synthetic materials. Text in English and German.
- Bindesboll: Dedenroth-Schou, Paul. Thorvald Bindesboll Og Solvsmedene. Denmark, Museet pa Koldinghus, 1997. Paperbound. Together with: Thorvald Bindesboll 1846-1908: A Pioneer of Danish Design. Paperbound. The two: $65.00
Catalogues of the exhibition at the Koldinghus Museum in Denmark on the silver and jewelry of Bindesboll. Texts in Danish, German and English. The small catalogue lists the works, the large catalogue discusses, describes and illustrates the pieces.
- Black, J. Anderson. A History of Jewelry. Introduction by Edward Lucie-Smith. New York, no date (ca. 1974). $75.00
A variant edition of The Story of Jewelry.
- Black, J. Anderson. The Story of Jewelry. New York, Morrow, 1974. Introduction by Edward Lucie-Smith. With 550 color photographs. Cloth, dust jacket. $75.00
A variant edition of A History of Jewelry.
- Boardman, John. Archaic Greek Gems. London, (1968). $55.00
- Boardman, John. Engraved Gems: The Ionides Collection. Evanston, (1968). $60.00
- Boardman, John & Diana Scarisbrick. The Ralph Harari Collection of Finger Rings. London, (1977). $65.00
- Boardman, John. Greek Gems and Finger Rings, Early Bronze Age to Late Classical. New York, Abrams, no date (1970s). $250.00
- Borel, France. The Splendor of Ethnic Jewelry, From the Colette and Jean-Pierre Ghysels Collection. New York, (1994). $75.00
- Bosshart, Renate. Fashion Jewelry to Make Yourself. Schiffer, 1995. Paperbound. $24.95
Arts and Crafts Jewelry & Metalwork
- Bowles: Shifman, Barry. The Arts & Crafts Metalwork of Janet Payne Bowles. With contributions by W. Scott Braznell & Sharon S. Darling. Published in conjunction with the exhibition of the same name organized by the Indianapolis Museum of Art and shown at the Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute (September 4, 1993 January 3, 1994) and the Indianapolis Museum of Art (April 9 May 22, 1994). Indianapolis, 1993. 135 pages, profusely illustrated; with chronology, catalogue of the Janet Payne Bowles Collection, bibliography and index. 4to, wrappers, fine. $85.00
Bowles was the leading figure in the Indianapolis Arts and Crafts scene after the turn of the 20th century. 69 examples of her jewelry and metalwork are fully illustrated and additional illustrations are included as well, including some inspirational pieces.
- Boyadjian, N. The Heart: Its History, Its Symbolism, Its Iconography and Its Diseases. Antwerp, (1985). Illustrated, many color. Very good in slightly chipped dust jacket. $135.00
- Bradford, E.D.S. Contemporary Jewellery and Silver Design. London, (1950). First edition. $225.00
- Bradford, Ernle. English Victorian Jewellery. London, (1959). $65.00
Standard work; quite useful.
- Bradford, Ernle. Four Centuries of European Jewellery. London, 1953. $60.00
Good survey; a standard work.
- Brandt: Kahr, Joan. Edgar Brandt: Master of Art Deco Ironwork. New York, 1999. $60.00
- Braun-Feldweg, Wilhelm. Metal Design & Technique. New York, (1975). $125.00
- Britten, F.J. Old Clocks and Watches & Their Makers. Third edition, revised. ACC, 1995. $69.50
Probably the most famous clock book ever published; held in the highest esteem by collectors.
- Bromberg, Anne R. Gold of Greece: Jewelry and Ornaments from the Benaki Museum. Catalogue of the exhibition at the Dallas Museum of Art, April 8 June 10, 1990, organized by the Benaki Museum, Athens and the Dallas Museum of Art and shown also at the San Diego Museum of Art and the Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco during 1990 and 1991. 112 pages, 85 items, each illustrated in color. 4to, wrappers, fine. $30.00
- Bronstein, Alan & Stephen C. Hofer. Forever Brilliant: The Aurora Collection of Colored Diamonds. New York, (2000). $39.95
The Aurora diamonds photographed by Tino Hammid for the book Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds, with introductions by Alan Bronstein, Stephen Hofer, George E. Harlow and Janet Zapata.
- Brown, Hy. Comic Character Timepieces: Seven Decades of Memories. Schiffer, 1992. $79.95
- Brown, Marcia "Sparkles." Signed Beauties of Costume Jewelry; Identification & Values. Paducah, (2002). 270 pages, glossary, bibliography, index; hundreds of color photos of costume jewelry, with all makers noted. Boards. $24.95
- Brown, Marcia "Sparkles." Unsigned Beauties of Costume Jewelry; Identification & Values. Paducah, (2002). Values updated 2002. 270 pages, glossary, bibliography, index; hundreds of color. Boards. $24.95
- Brunner, Gisbert & Christian Pfeiffer-Belli. Swiss Wristwatches: Chronology of Worldwide Success. Schiffer, 1991. With price guide. $69.95
- Brush: Daniel Brush: Gold Without Boundaries. Writings by Ralph Esmerian, Paul Theroux, Donald Kuspit, and David Bennett and Daniel Brush. New York, 1998. $65.00
- Brussels. Hotel Solvay. Le Bijou 1900: Modern Style-Juwelen. (1965). 102 pages; text in French and Flemish. With 35 black and white and 23 color illustrations. Presented by artist, with a biography of each: Fouquet, Wolfers, Lalique, Josef Hoffmann, Van De Velde, Veve, Wiener Werkstatte, and others. Paperbound. $185.00
- Bruton, Eric. Diamonds. Radnor, (1978). Second edition. Cloth, dust jacket. $50.00
- Buccellati: Corgnati, Martina. Mario Buccellati: Prince of Goldsmiths. New York, 1999. Profusely illustrated with photos by Giorgio Majno, mostly in color. $65.00
- Buccellati: Raget, Vincent-Emmanuel. Buccellati. Paris, (2003). 80 pages of text, 40 color and black and white plates. Hardbound, dust jacket. $18.95
- Buck, Peter H. (Te Rangi Hiroa). Arts and Crafts of Hawaii, XII: Ornaments, Personal Adornment. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1964. (41) pages, 16 black and white photographs and drawings. 8vo, wrappers, fine. $45.00
Sir Peter Buck was the director of the Bishop Museum from 1936 to 1951. This series of 14 pamphlets on various aspects of Hawaiian arts and crafts was originally published in one volume in 1957 and each was reprinted separately in 1964. Head ornaments, neck pendants, leg ornaments, necklaces, breast ornaments, arm ornaments, bracelets and hair styles in feather, shell, seed, tooth, bone and ivory are all discussed.
- Buhler, Kathryn C. American Silver 1655-1825 in the Museum of Fine Arts Boston. Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, Distributed by New York Graphic Society, Greenwich, (1972). Two volumes. xx, 708 pages; 566 ob-jects described and illustrated; marks. 4to, cloth backstrip on boards, fine in slipcase. $300.00
- Buhler, Kathryn C. American Silver 1655-1825 in the Museum of Fine Arts Boston. Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, Distributed by New York Graphic Society, Greenwich, (1972). Paperbound edition. Two volumes. xx, 708 pages; 566 objects described and illustrated; marks. 4to, wrappers, fine. $175.00
- Buhler, Kathryn C. & Graham Hood. American Silver: Garvan and Other Collections in the Yale University Art Gallery. New Haven, Yale University Press, 1970. First edition. Two volumes. xviii, 344 pages; xii, 300 pages; profusely illustrated, including marks. 4to, cloth, very good. $350.00
- Bulgari: Mascetti, Daniela & Amanda Triossi. Bulgari. New York, 1996. $100.00
- Burgess, Fred W. Antique Jewelry and Trinkets. New York, (1937). $50.00
- Burkholz, Matthew L. The Bakelite Collection. Schiffer, (1997). With price guide. $59.95
- Bury, Shirley. Jewellery 1789-1910, The International Era. Two volumes. Woodbridge, 1997. $250.00
- Bury, Shirley. Jewellery Gallery Summary Guide. London, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1982. Paperbound. $100.00
- Cailles, Francoise. Le Prix des Bijoux/ International Jewellery Auction. Paris, (1991). $185.00
Price guide to jewelry at auction during the years 1989 and 1990; this is the most recent edition available; each item illustrated in color, with prices noted.
- Calinescu, Adriana (editor). Ancient Jewelry & Archaeology. Bloomington, Indiana University Press, (1996). $60.00
- Cardinal, Catherine. The Watch from Its Origins to the XIXth Century. Secaucus, (1989). $150.00
A history of the watch, specifically relating to watch decoration.
- Carle, Donald de. Practical Watch Repairing. NAG, 1995. $35.00
- Carre, Louis. Guide de l'Amateur d'Orfevrerie Francaise. Paris, 1990. With marks. Paperbound. $85.00
French silver marks.
- Cartier: Cartier, Inc. Retrospective Louis Cartier: Masterworks of Art Deco. (1982). Illustrating and describing 124 objects, mostly in color. Paperbound. $75.00
- Cartier: Clais, Anne-Marie. Les Must de Cartier. Paris, (2003). 399 pages, 350 color illustrations. Leatherbound in leopard-like slipcase. $75.00
An extravagant and beautiful publication of the luxury of Cartier.
- Cartier: Cologni, Franco & Eric Nussbaum. Platinum by Cartier: Triumphs of the Jewelers' Art. New York, 1996. Hardbound, dust jacket. $100.00
- Cartier: Nadelhoffer, Hans. Cartier: Jewelers Extraordinary. New York, (1984). Hardbound, dust jacket. $75.00
- Cartier: Rudoe, Judy. Cartier 1900-1939. New York, (1997). Hardbound, dust jacket. $75.00
Published in conjunction with the exhibition of the same name at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, April 2 - August 3, 1997.
- Cartlidge, Barbara. Twentieth-Century Jewelry. New York, 1985. Hardbound, dust jacket. $125.00
- Castellani, Augusto. Gems: Notes and Extracts. London, Bell & Daldy, 1871. 241 pages. Small 8vo, bound in publisher's cloth, spine faded, front hinge weak, still very good. Very scarce. $425.00
Augusto Castellani was the senior member of the old Italian family of jewelers whose pieces, emulating styles and methods of Etruscan goldsmiths, won wide acclaim at the expositions of Paris 1867 and Vienna 1873. Sinkankas 1181: "Short essays on many gemstones and their varieties... in alphabetical order... essays emphasize lore & legend but some technical data and locality information are provided...." See also "Castellani and Giuliano" by Geoffrey C. Munn.
- Cellini: Symonds, John Addington. The Life of Benvenuto Cellini. Written by Himself.... New York, Brentano's, (1906). Two volumes. Illustrated with 40 plates and decorative title pages. Half blue morocco binding with raised bands and gilt panelled backstrips. Top edges gilt; other edges slightly foxed, ownership label on front endpaper, else fine. A beautiful set. $250.00
Printed by D.B. Updike, with biography by the editor and translator, Symonds; with an essay on Cellini as a writer and artist by Royal Cortissoz. First edition thus; beautifully bound for Brentano's. The best edition of this work.
- Cellini: Symonds, John Addington. The Life of Benvenuto Cellini. Written by Himself. Translated and edition by John Addington Symonds, With Introduction by Thomas Craven and Illustrations by Fritz Kredel. Verona, Printed at the Officina Bodoni for Members of The Limited Editions Club, 1937. 302 pages, line and color wash drawings by Fritz Kredel. Large 4to, original patterned cloth. Spine darkened, ownership label on front endpaper, some foxing to endpapers and a few extreme top margins, overall very good. Edition limited to 1,550 copies, signed by Kredel. $125.00
- Cera, Deanna Farneti. Gioie di Hollywood: American Designers of Fashion Jewelry 1920-1960. Venice Design Art Gallery, 1987. $75.00
A fine work produced for an exhibition in Venice with many color illustrations; an excellent reference, in English and Italian, now out of print.
- Cera, Deanna Farneti. Jewels of Fantasy: Costume Jewelry of the 20th Century. New York, (1992). Hardbound, fine in dust jacket. $350.00
A major study of costume jewelry.
- Cera, Deanna Farneti. Amazing Gems: An Illustrated Guide to the World's Most Dazzling Costume Jewelry. New York, Abrams, (1997). 256 pages, 274 illustrations, including 264 in color. 12mo, cloth, fine in dust jacket. $25.00
- Cerval, Marguerite de (editor). Dictionnaire International du Bijou. Paris, (1998). $185.00
An invaluable dictionary of jewelry, extremely comprehensive, beautifully illustrated.
- Chadour-Sampson, Beatriz. Ancient Finger Rings. Munich, 1997. $135.00
The Alain Ollivier Collection of ancient rings -- a small collection, but one which offers an outstanding introduction to the art and history of the ring in ancient times. Text in German and English
- Chanel: Mauries, Patrick. Jewelry by Chanel. Boston, (2000). Paperbound edition. $35.00
- Chang: Holzach, Cornelie et al. Peter Chang: Jewellery, Objects, Sculptures. Text in English and German: Peter Chang It's Only Plastics. Stuttgart, (2002). 168 pages, 157 color illustrations. Plastic covers. $75.00
The sensational plastic jewelry of Peter Chang, one of Britain's leading jewelry artists.
- Chaumet: Chaumet, Paris. Une Pleiade de Maitres-Joailliers 1780-1930. Paris, Chaumet, 1931. 140 pages, 23 full-page plates, decorative head and tail pieces reproduced after original designs for jewelry made by Maisons Fossin, Morel and Chaumet. 4to, original wrappers with mark of Chaumet in gilt on upper cover. Owner's label on endpaper, else fine in chipped glassine dust wrapper. Edition limited to 1,205 copies. Scarce. $350.00
The history of the important and well known jewelry firm of Chaumet and the story of the jewelry they produced. This is the first book published on the firm.
- Chaumet: Scarisbrick, Diana. Timeless Tiaras: Chaumet from 1904 to the Present. Paris, (2002). 240 pages, color illustrations. Hardbound. $39.95
- Cherry, John. Goldsmiths. London, British Museum Press, (1992). 72 pages, 41 color and 40 black and white illustrations. Square 8vo, illustrated wrappers, fine. $20.00
Medieval Craftsmen Series
- Choate, Sharr. Creative Gold- and Silversmithing: Jewelry - Decorative Metalcraft. New York, (1970). Paperbound edition. $35.00
A comprehensive and very useful work; the color illustrations are examples of contemporary pieces, many by the author.
- Christie's, New York. American Chic: 100 Years of Jewelry Design. Catalogue of an auction 18 October 1999. 172 page catalogue of 200 items, profusely illustrated in color, biographies; a few prices realized handwritten. Paperbound. $50.00
Includes works by Daniel Brush, Cartier, Paul Flato, Heyman & Bros., Marcus & Co., Ostier, Seaman Schepps, Schlumberger, Tiffany & Co., Trabert & Hoeffer, Van Cleef, David Webb, Raymond Yard and others.
- Clark, Grahame. Symbols of Excellence. Precious Materials as Expressions of Status. Cambridge, 1986). First edition. 126 pages, 12 color plates and 43 black and white illustrations. Small 4to, cloth, fine in dust jacket. $45.00
Written by the Emeritus Disney Professor of Archaeology, University of Cambridge, this is a study of organic materials, jade, precious metals, precious stones and the symbolic roles of precious substances.
- Clarke, Geoffrey & F. & Ida Feher. The Technique of Enamelling. London, (1977). Revised edn. $20.00
- Clements, Monica Lynn & Patricia Rosser Clements. Cameos, Classical to Costume. Schiffer, (1998). With value guide. Hardbound. $59.95
- Clifford, Anne. Cut-Steel and Berlin Iron Jewellery. New York, (1971). $150.00
- Cocks, Anna Somers. An Introduction to Courtly Jewellery. Owings Mills, (1982). Second impression. 48 pages, 40 color plates. $20.00
- Codognato: Hebey, Pierre. Codognato. Paris, (2003). 80 pages, 40 color and black and white photographs. Hardbound, dust jacket. $18.95
Codognato jewelers has been a landmark in Venice for over a century.
- Contini, Mila. Fashion From Ancient Egypt to the Present Day. New York, (1965). Profusely illustrated with examples of fashions through the ages, including many examples of the jewelry worn. $85.00
- Cooper: Kuzmanovic, N. Natasha. John Paul Cooper: Designer and Craftsman of the Arts & Crafts Movement. Stroud, (1999). 188 pages, bibliography, index; 132 black and white illustrations and 64 in color. Hardbound, dust jacket. $100.00
- Coutchie, Mariann. Jewelry on Display. Cincinnati, Signs of the Times Publishing Co., 1972. First edition. 84 pages, richly illustrated with black and white photos. Paperbound, slight wear and staining, still very good. $65.00
Displays for jewelry, discussing and presenting composition, signage, color, themes, Christmas, presentation displayers, window trimming, displaying watches, diamonds, along with lighting and windows, with photos of store windows and displays from the early 1970s; with advice and technical information.
- Coyne, John (editor). The Penland School of Crafts Book of Jewelry Making. Indianapolis, (1975). $45.00
- Crowe, Fred J.W. Masonic Clothing and Regalia, British & Continental. Edinburgh, 1897. With 36 full-page color plates, each with lengthy description. Scarce. Original gilt decorated leather torn; internally very good. $350.00
- Culme, John. The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers and Allied Traders 1838-1914. Two volumes. ACC, 1995. $350.00
With over 4,000 biographies and 12,000 marks illustrated and arranged alphabetically to identify the work of all those registered at the London Assay Office during the period.
- Cummins, Genevieve E. & Nerylla D. Taunton. Chatelaines: Utility to Glorious Extravagance. Woodbridge, (1994). $69.50
The first book to deal exclusively with the development of the chatelaine, a decorative or useful waist-hung item, a popular adjunct to a lady's dress.
- Cumo, Carlo & Claude Mazloum. Les Gemmes des Joyaux: Maitres et Materiaux. Rome, Gremese, (1996). Preface by Paolo Valentini. 285 pages, glossary; profusely illustrated in color showing gemstones as well as contemporary jewelry using various stones. 4to, boards, fine in dust jacket. $85.00
- Cuss, Camerer. Antique Watches. Woodbridge, 1995. $79.50
Top of Page
Part B | Part C | Part D | Part E
Catalogue Index | Home Page